About the role
We have an opportunity for a talented Senior Architect to join our award-winning education team in BDP’s Manchester studio. We are currently working on the design and delivery of several exciting and innovative higher education projects and are looking for an experienced education architect to take a senior role in the team, leading design development, liaising directly with clients and making a significant contribution to our extensive education sector portfolio.
BDP is one of Europe’s leading multidisciplinary design practices with Architects, Engineers and associated design professions working together to create award-winning buildings and places.
Founded in Preston in 1961, we now have studios across the UK, Ireland, Netherlands, MENA, India, China, Singapore, USA and Canada. BDP has a renowned track record in all major sectors with over 1,000 awards for design quality. We are committed to the design and delivery of the highest quality, innovative buildings and environments for our clients.
We are now looking to recruit talented and appropriately qualified Architects to join our Manchester Studio.
Reporting directly to the Architect Director leading the Manchester education team, you will work in a highly collaborative and creative team environment, developing exciting new designs for education projects and working closely with our clients to communicate and test these proposals.
As a successful candidate you will:
· Be a highly motivated, education Architect with extensive experience in the design of complex education projects and a particular focus on universities. Global experience and knowledge of university estate strategies and masterplans would be welcome.
· Be passionate about the education sector and its potential to transform society.
· Have a portfolio demonstrating excellent concept design skills, including the design of innovative education spaces, and demonstrate excellent design leadership through all stages of a project.
· Offer strong visual and verbal presentation skills, particular for strategic studies and early-stage concept designs.
· Have extensive experience leading multi-stakeholder consultation with education clients.
· Be skilled at working collaboratively with people at all levels and from all backgrounds to lead clients through the design process, particularly during briefing and early design stages.
· Have exceptional leadership skills and a proven ability to direct design teams, manage internal architect teams, mentor and supervise junior staff.
· Be comfortable delivering to tight deadlines.
· Have good knowledge of current trends and legislation in the education sector and in universities in the UK and elsewhere.
· Be a strategic thinker and clear communicator.
· Contribute to business development within the UK Education sector.
BDP offers excellent opportunities for personal and career development as well as an attractive remuneration package that includes:
· A competitive salary.
· Flexible pension allowance.
· Private medical insurance.
· Contribution towards professional subscriptions.
We also offer an Employee Assistance Programme, All Employee Profit Share Scheme and Health Screening benefit.
We are an equal opportunities employer guided by BDP Belonging, a network of staff representing all areas of diversity to provides the practice with a range of different voices and life experiences that support and guide on all aspects of diversity and inclusion, as well as feeding back any concerns, questions or ideas.
We actively foster an inclusive organisation where people can be themselves and everyone has a sense of belonging. We want our teams to be diverse at every level, reflecting the communities we design for. As designers, we will create spaces for all that promote equity, wellbeing and participation within the built environment. We actively encourage people from a variety of backgrounds with different skills, professional and life experiences, to join us and help us to achieve our aspirations.
We also welcome applications from candidates who wish to work flexibly.
We have the BDP Life Social Committee which organises a wide range of social, sporting and charitable activities and its Communication Committee for improvement and development ideas.
Our Manchester studio is located by the canal at Piccadilly Basin within the vibrant Northern Quarter and close to Piccadilly station and central Manchester transport links. You can find out about our Manchester studio here: http://www.bdp.com/en/locations/uk/Manchester/
Direct link to the vacancy: https://careers.bdp.com/senior-architect-education/1285/viewdetails
You will need to complete the online application form and attach a covering letter, current CV and small portfolio of work demonstrating how you meet the requirements of the position. Please ensure you state your personal contributions to the projects in your portfolio.
Please include an indication of your expected salary with your application.
Contract type: Full time, Permanent Contract.
Hours: Monday – Friday (flexible/hybrid working may be an option).
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.